Ukay-Ukay or thrift stores are a treasure trove of interesting clothes you can add to your closet without spending too much. If you are a working girl or a college student who does not wear a uniform you may find that dressing up everyday is a bit of a challenge. So I present to you my thrift store shopping tips, where and when to go and photos of my recent purchases.
Since I work at home, my choice of clothing are usually the casual hoodies, shirts and shorts so most of my purchases are along those lines. Because of the wide range and variety of the clothes you can find in these thrift ukay-ukay stores, you can find anything for every occassion. I have seen gowns, cocktail dress, formal blazers and lots more.
My favorite place to shop for ukay-ukay is the famous Makati Cinema Square, along Pasong Tamo (now called Chino Roces Ave). There are a couple of ukay ukay shops in there and they are airconditioned so you can browse all you want without sweating.
Another favorite ukay ukay spot is Anonas Cubao. Located near the Anonas LRT station, this ukay ukay haven is 4 floors of dream come true.
Aside from Anonas, there is also an ukay ukay shop near the EDSA Rotonda LRT station, a couple stores near the Guadalupe MRT station (along EDSA) and a few in Cubao near the Araneta center. There are also a few stores along Pedro Gil leading up to Robinson’s Place Malate. Harrison Plaza near the Rizal Stadium also have a few stores inside the mall.
I have listed a few tips below for your reference:
– Come early since most of these shops are not airconditioned, it would be uncomfortable when it gets hot.
– There’s a particular smell to these places so if you are sensitive bring a hanky or a face mask.
– Bring smaller bills.
– Haggle! Yes you can haggle especially if you are buying a lot. Just be polite though.
– Be friendly to the sales people, ask them when their new stocks come in and when they’re on sale.
– Bring a shopping bag or bags.
– Browse all you can
– Wear something comfortable because like I said it can get hot.
– Check the clothes you are buying for defects. Some can still be repaired though so just check it.
Below are some of my ukay ukay fashion finds, all of them are below Php100 each. (Please wait for the photo gallery to load.)