The Philpost Experience of 2016 Makati Edition – Philippine Postal Service

The Philpost Experience of 2016 Makati Edition – Philippine Postal Service

I ordered a bunch of Korean skin care products from eBay and Testerkorea.com and had it delivered straight to the Philippines instead of the US through freight forwarders. This is an experiment to see how much I will be taxed and how long the delivery and the entire process would take. I decided to buy only small items priced less than US$25.

PhilPost

Advertisement Klook.com

I ordered 2 separate items, one from Testerkorea.com and the other from an eBay seller. I ordered them at the same time, May 9, 2016 both from South Korea. Paid with my Paypal account and waited for the items to ship out. The one I bought from eBay, the Sulwhasoo Gentle Cleansing Foam cost US$11.99 and was packed and shipped the next day. These are just 20 pcs 5ml sample packets.

The one I bought from Testerkorea.com was the Sulwhasoo Concentrated Ginseng Renewing Kit (5 Items). This is a trial kit that come in a set box. I bought this for US$24.96 including shipping. This one shipped after 3 days.

One tip though is to make sure to use regular mail and not EMS. EMS packages are picked up from the main Philpost office in Pasay while the regular mail goes to your city’s post office where you pick it up from there. There are bad experiences relayed by a lot of people when they picked up their packages at the EMS Philpost Office in Pasay. The regular mail takes longer though but a lot cheaper than EMS.

Another tip is to make sure you get a tracking number from your seller or opt for the shipping method with a tracking number and not EMS. Make sure to read the item listing to check if the shipping comes with a tracking number. This will minimize your frustration on guessing where your package is.

You can use these websites to check the status of your packages:

Philpost tracking is often delayed. The first link updates faster.

This is a screenshot of the route my first package went through during the whole delivery process.

tracking1

Here is the screenshot of the Philpost tracking website for the same item.

RELATED  29 Instagram-Worthy Places To Travel

tracking2

The post offices are very slow in delivering the claim notice card. This is the card you present to them when the item is already available for pickup. This sometimes takes up to a month or more before you receive it. What I can recommend is to check the Philpost tracking website, once you see the “Enroute to delivery office” status, wait a couple of days and check your local post office, chances are your parcel is already with them. I normally wait 3 days to a week after seeing this status before I go to the post office. Both my parcels where already there.

If you don’t have the claim notice yet and you see the “Enroute to delivery office” status on the tracking site, print the Philpost tracking page with the status of your parcel. Print the entire page and also print the Paypal invoice to show to the customs officer so they can correctly assess the tax to be charged. Write your name on the Philpost tracking page that you just printed.

I claimed my packages at the Makati Post Office. You first give the printed Philpost tracking page to the person at the counter, they find your package, you present your ID and then you sign something. The item is then presented to a customs officer where it will be opened for inspection. This is where you give your Paypal invoice. They will compute the tax and you pay the amount. The parcel is then handed to another person, this person will then ask you to pay for the Presentation to Customs fee of Php112. This one is a fixed amount. All in all you pay for 2 things, the import tax and the presentation to customs fee.

Below are some pictures of the Pacel Delivery Section of the Makati Post Office.

P 20160527 160140

P 20160527 154529

My experience with claiming the 2 packages on different dates is smooth. I did not encounter any problems at all considering I only have the printed tracking page for both packages as I did not wait for the official claim card.

I noticed that my parcel was charged a rate of duty amounting to 7% of the value of the items. This is for cosmetic products. I was also given receipts with the breakdown of fees that I paid for, official receipts for the Bureau of Customs and the Philippine Postal Corporation.

RELATED  Chasing Spring - 8 Of The Best Cherry Blossom Tours and Attractions

Here are the pictures of the 2 packages I picked up.

P 20160527 171900

P 20160603 165743

If you are curious as to how much I paid for, check out the breakdown below.

eBay purchase amounting to US$11.99

Customs Duty – Php 83
EVAT – Php 154
Customs Doc Stamp Php 15
Grand Total – Php 252
Plus the Presentation to customs fee – Php 112
TOTAL – Php 364
(I can only stare at the EVAT cost, my goodness!)

For the Makati Post Office:

Insurance is an estimate of 2% of the declared value. EVAT is computed at 12% of the total amount. Customs doc stamps are fixed at Php 15. Presentation to customs fee is fixed at Php 112. Current exchange rate is taken from the Bureau of Customs website http://customs.gov.ph/ right side of the webpage. Rate of duty varies, cosmetics and beauty products are charged 7% as per my experience with the 2 packages.

They convert foreign currency value to Philippine peso so check the exchange rate from their website above.

From the computation above you can more or less assess the total amount you would have to pay. Take note though that this is for the Makati Post office and for cosmetic and beauty products, other post offices may charge differently.

They open the parcels in front of you although the first parcel I bought was placed in a small packet, you know those yellow bubble padded envelopes, so they did not bother to open it. The second item I purchase was placed in a box so they opened it and checked the contents and then taped it back to close it.

RELATED  16 Lazyish Hacks That'll Make You Say "Why Didn't I Know About This Sooner?"

At the Makati Post Office, while they are examining your package, they have a computer monitor on the side, you can see and ask about the computation. As per my observation they already have a template, like an Excel file that computes everything automatically once you input the item value and the rate of duty.

Here’s the timeline for the eBay item I purchased:

Purchased May 9, 2016
Shipped out May 10, 2016
Arrived Philippines – May 16, 2016
Enroute to Delivery Office – May 18, 2016
Claimed at the Makati Post Office – May 27, 2016
*I could have claimed this earlier but due to my laziness, it stayed at the post office for one more week. This one took 18 days, could have been shorter if I claimed it earlier.

The timeline for the Testerkorea.com purchase:

Purchased May 9, 2016
Shipped out May 12, 2016
Arrived Philippines – May 19, 2016
Enroute to Delivery Office – May 26, 2016
Claimed at the Makati Post Office – June 3, 2016

Electronics and gadgets are taxed higher so if you are planning to buy one from abroad especially the US, I would recommend you use freight forwarders like My-shoppingbox.com which has a tie-up with Globe Telecoms, MyEcasa, Pobox or Forex. They charge a fixed amount based on the actual weight or volumetric weight of your package. The fees you pay them are already inclusive of the shipping fees, customs fees and other fees. They also deliver straight to your house.

I only tried this because I now have a Makati address, I once lived in Pasay and in that case all packages regardless if it’s EMS or regular will have to be claimed at the main Philpost office.

If you have questions or have some experience with the post office in your city, hit up the comments section and share your feedback.

36 COMMENTS

1. I really hate how hassle it is..
    Never understood that we have to claim it in the post office, but the rate and quality of service is just so slow and bad respectively.

Someone please do something about this field

2. Thanks for this article, after reading the same line “Enroute to delivery office” and tracking the package on the link you posted I decided to visit our local post office. And yes, the package was in fact on their office already. Thank you very much! 😀

3. My packaged came a year later. I ordered last year Dec 2016 I’m picking it up next week. Lol am kidding. Thanks for the tip. At least I know when to pick it up. Mine’s already “enroute to delivery office”. 🙂

4. kapag po ba enroute to delivery office ibig po ba sbhin nsa local post office na po ba?or maghihintay pa aq ng another weeks bago dating sa akin?

5. hi! pwede po kaya pumili ng post office branch na pagpipick up-an or pwede ko ba ilgay ung address ng branch sa shipping address? thanks

6. Hi po! Thank u for the information. I didn’t know na kailangan pa pala puntahan sa post office yung items at tsaka my bayad din po pala? 🙁 first time ko po kasi mag order. Akala ko po kasi ihahatid lng nila yun sa address na binigay q tapos wla nang bayad. I ordered it last dec. 2016 and nkalagay po dito “enroute to delivery office”, so ibig sabihin po ba pwede ko nang kunin tu sa post office namin dito sa cebu? Tsaka anu pu yung EMS? I hope po magreply kayu. I need guidance. 🙂

7. Thanks for this. Ordered from hongkong last December and finally Enroute to delivery office na ang status, will definitely go to the our local post office and bring the said copies of tracking and paypal receipt. Just wanna share also, pag worth 10000pesos below, free from tax na,tama ba, base sa new law.

The Philippine Postal Corporation (PHLPost) welcome the new provisions stated under the official Customs Administrative Order (CAO) 02-2016 which will implement Section 423 of the New Customs Modernization and Tariff Act (CMTA) signed into law as Republic Act (RA) 10863, of the Bureau of Customs which provides that “no duties and taxes shall be collected on goods with a freight on board or free carrier value of P10,000 and below.

8. Do you work for Philpost because you are lucky? I have 3 items orders Dec 27, 2016. We are now mid Febuary and they are not here even though the items track as “Enroute to delivery office” mid January. I’ve been to the office several times and was shown 4 massive bags yet to be sorted. “Sir these are all from Oct, Nov, Dec 2016.” They are still catching up on the Christmas rush it appears.

9. gud day! help me track my package, it says enroute to delivery., since it was a cellphone, does it ship by air or by sea? it is a standard air parcel from china. how many days it will arrive from manila to davao city?

10. Thanks for this article, after reading the same line “Enroute to delivery office” and tracking the package on the link you posted I try to check my item in our local post office. Thank you very much! God bless po.

11. I’m surprised that they have lots of weird “fees” now, I used to get lots of packages from sponsors few years ago and I only had to pay 40 pesos. Good thing you had the breakdown, I’m thinking twice about buying something from ebay now though because the charges are too steep!

12. Turn-over item to next office Wednesday, Apr 26, 2017, 8:11 AM PHILIPPINES
    Returned from Customs Wednesday, Apr 26, 2017, 8:06 AM PHILIPPINES
    Item for Customs examination Tuesday, Apr 25, 2017, 9:04 AM PHILIPPINES
    Receive at country of destination Tuesday, Apr 25, 2017, 1:25 AM PHILIPPINES
    Dispatch to country of destination Sunday, Apr 23, 2017, 6:15 AM China
    Prepare dispatch to destination country Saturday, Apr 22, 2017, 9:03 AM China
    Posting of item Tuesday, Apr 18, 2017, 7:28 AM China
    so by the way mag iintay pa pla ako ng enroute to delivery office ang saya ko nga fast shipping..sana next week mkuha ko na parcel ko excited na ako ma suot un clothes..thanks guys sana sa inyo ok na dn

13. Good day!

alam ko po medyo out of topic na ang question ko, gusto ko lang malaman if safe ba mag padala ng jewelry thru EMS? International ko po kasi ipapadala. Hindi po ba kayo nawalan or na delay po ba ang shipping sa reciever? since ang sabi ay 3-5 working days lang po ay ma rerecieve na din yung package. any tips po sa mga naka expirience na mag padala abroad. Thankyousomuch po! 🙂

14. I had a very bad experience with Philpost Main Office but this was 3 years ago. I used to order abroad before pero nadating naman I pay only 100PHP for the customs charge. At kung kelan mura pa binili ko, they charged me with a very high tax.

I bought shoes from SG amounting to just 15 SGD. I even presented them with a printed invoice from the supplier. Sabihan ba naman akong peke un! Mali daw ung price! Dapat daw mga 300 USD un. Karapatan daw nila baguhin ung declared value. Dahil un daw tama, pinagmalaki pa sa akin na 25 years in service na daw sya. At alam nya ginagawa nya.

Una sinisingil ako ng 4k para sa shoes na pag converted value sa peso e wala pa 500PHP. Sabi ko di ko kaya un! Sabi nya o sige intay ka dyan. Nagcompute sya ulit. Naging 3k naman.

Sabi ko Sir eto invoice! Masyado mahal tax para sa sapatos na to! Sabi nya peke nga yan e. Sabi ko pagamit computer mo, mag-login ako sa site na binilhan ko para makita mo.

Sabi nya “Basta sa tingin ko mahal yan! Kung anu value sa tingin ko un susundin sa computation! Eto computin ko ulit. O 1800 na lang! Kaya mo na yan!

Sabay alis nya, binigyan nya na ako nung slip na babayaran ko.

Binayaran ko na! Effing bastard kasi!
    Take note di ako sa cashier nagbayad. Sa loob ng office ng Bureau of Customs sa Philpost. At nagbayad ulit ako sa cashier ng 100php. Sa galit ko!

NAG-BOW AKO SA LOOB NG OFFICE! at sabay sabi na;

SALAMAT SA LAHAT NG TULONG NYO! NAWAY PAGPALAIN KAYO NG DYOS SA SERBISYO NYONG LAHAT. NGAYON ALAM KO NA SINASABI NILA TUNGKOL SA INYO. SALAMAT ULIT.

Mali ko lang di ako nagvoice out sa social media. And I torn the slip with the customs officer’s whole name with signature sa sobrang galit ko. I never used the shoes dahil naiinis ako pag nakikita ko un.

Now I tried to order again.
    Enroute to delivery site na. Natatakot na ako sa mangyayari. I hope this time due to the new customs law, magbago na sila. For the sake of us, and the growth of this country they badly need to change.

15. You’ve been victimized by corrupt people. As far as I know, Dec. 2015 pa tinanggal yung tax for packages below 10K. Fees depends on the philpost branch. If they are corrupt, there are higher chances na singilin ka ng mahal. For the many times that I ordered items from overseas, never pa ako siningil ng tax. It’s always P112 kahit 5K item pa. Siguro mas maganda if before magpunta sa post office is magdala ng print out ng customs order and always remember to ask for a receipt. Pag siningil pa din kayo, use your cellphones to take a video and threathen them that you will post it on social media.

16. EYES HERE!
    Everyone who has complaints, NOW IS THE TIME! please kindly reach the Presidential Complaint Center (PCC). You must act If you truly demand change.

E-mail To: pcc@malacanang.gov.ph

or

PCC may also be reached thru the following telephone connections:

+63(2)-736-8645
    +63(2)-736-8603
    +63(2)-736-8629
    +63(2)-736-8621

Follow this format below:

a. Indicate clearly your name, complete address and contact number.

b. Explain clearly the details of your request or complaint.

c. Include photocopies(screenshots) of pertinent documents that will help PCC in understanding your concern and in determining the appropriate agency for your concern.

For reference: https://op-proper.gov.ph/presidential-action-center/

You are welcome!

PHLPOST
    Phlpost
    philpost
    Enroute to delivery office
    Turnover to next office
    Returned from Customs
    Item for Customs examination
    Receive at country of destination
    Dispatch to country of destination

17. Hi po.thanks for the info..
    My question is what if the parcel ay phone galing po sya ng China.but bought as gift sa akin.my tax pa rn po ba un?

• Hello! According to the new rule, items valued below 10k pesos are tax free pero hihingin sayo ng post office ang receipt or proof of payment kung saan nakalagay kung magkano ung item lalo na phone ung item. Since this is a gift you may want to ask the sender for the payment receipt para proof na below 10k talaga ung item.

18. I just claimed an item about i bought from the UK, its a scratch-off world map.

I was tracking item through the site’s own tracking system. When they updated the status of my item as “delivered” i questioned the admin as to why i have not received my item yet but their status is delivered. The guy explained to me that i may need to visit my local post office to claim my item.

Since its my first time to go there, i asked an old lady at the counters on the right what to do: she directed me to a guy and gave my tracking ID.
    the guy, took note of my tracking ID and printed out the status of my package. He then asked me to go to window 1, queue up and give that piece of paper he just printed out for me to the philpost personnel manning the section.

When it was my turn, the lady took the print out and told me that i must have a photocopy of a government ID to attach to my tracking ID. Asked the security guard in front, and he directed me to where i can find a photocopy machine within the vicinity of the Makati Post Office. The photocopy machine vendor can be found on the right side of the Post Office, if you are facing the entrance. Paid 2 pesos and went back straight to window1 without queing. Gave the photocopy to the lady, was asked to wait for them to call my name.

I was waiting for about 15 minutes when i felt the urge to go to the toilet. I asked the guard again and he told me instructions on how to get to the public toilet. You have to take the same route when going to the photocopy machine vendor, but you have to enter a door which will lead you to the back portion of the post office. You will pass through very old post boxes on your way. Once you have entered the back door, a guard will ask you where you are going. Just tell him you need to use the toilet.

Using the male toilet on the makati philpost building has got to be one of the most horrific toilet experience i ever had in my life. Upon entering you can already smell the stench of unflushed urinals and cubicles inside. When i went inside, all the cubicles were closed and to my surprise all the urinals were defective! so where i was supposed to do my business then? I had to improvise.

Going back to the Waiting Area, i found an empty monoblock chair and waited for another 5 minutes. When my name was called, the item was shown to me and was asked to sign into their logbook. I was asked to wait again. I sat and waited for another 10 minutes.

When my name was called again, i paid 112 pesos. they gave me my item and walked out of the post office.

19. Hi…im still waiting for my parcel.i always track my parcel pero nakalagay dun enroute to delivery office since jan.8.lage ako 2matawag but they said wla pa dw…until now still waiting…ang bagal nila.if ever should i visit the main office nila? And may i know the exact address?thanks a lot.im waiting for 62days.

• Hello Jessa
      Sometimes it’s best to visit the post office directly with the printed tracking details so they will be forced to really physically check the item for you. Minsan kasi sasabihin lang sayo over the phone na wala pa hindi naman talaga hinanap. There is also another possibility na wala pa talaga sa post office dahil sa holiday season at madaming backlog na deliveries at hindi pa na process. If you have time you may go directly to your city’s post office to check.

20. Hi…im still waiting for my parcel.i always track my parcel pero nakalagay dun enroute to delivery office since jan.8.lage ako 2matawag sa local post office here in quezon city but they said wla pa dw…until now still waiting…ang bagal nila.if ever should i visit the main office nila? And may i know the exact address?thanks a lot.im waiting for 62days.

21. Hi my problem is that when i tracked my parcel on the sellers tracking website it stated delivery attempt failed but when i search it on the phil post tracking system my parcel is enroute to delivery office this has been the status of my package since jan 27, ive emailed the philpost several times but they havent replied yet. Im lost i dont know what to do

• Hello Margie
      You may want to print the tracking details on the philpost tracking website and head to the post office directly to check. Sometimes different tracking websites show different statuses and some are delayed in updating. If the post office tells you they still don’t have it you may want to contact the seller of the item to check the status of the item on their part.

22. Hi
    Alam ko medyo malayo yung tanong ko.
    I am from Pasig. Paano po kapag lumabas sa track and trace eh PHZONE7 po? Ano pong ibig sabihin nun?

• Nung nag search ako ang ibig daw sabihin nito eh nasa local post office na yung parcel mo. Print the tracking page and bring your ID then head to your local post office to check kung nandun na yung package mo.

23. Hi,

Do all parcel notices with a FOR CUSTOMS EXAMINATION require you to bring proof of purchase? My problem is that my proof of purchase is a receipt from a donation website without the sender address and I don’t know if that’s enough. Thanks!

24. I would suggest you still bring it anyway they just want to see that the item’s value is below the amount that’s taxable.

• Hi,

I did bring the receipt of donation but they didn’t ask for it. 🙂 I think it’s because the item was marked as a gift by USPS.

I’ll share my experience to those who are curious: I got a customs number from the sender in US that wasn’t trackable in PhlPost’s track and trace. So I emailed amed.supportservices@phlpost.gov.ph with the customs number. The good news is that they’re very responsive via email. They asked me for my address and acknowledged receiving my reply. The next day, they gave me full details of my package.

I was also fortunate enough to have received a parcel notice from them. This is what I brought to PhlPost along with photocopy of two valid IDs to claim my package although the above details from AMED Support also works. After that I waited for my name to be called and paid the handling fee of 112 pesos. They didn’t ask for any proof of purchase anymore.

I think I spent around 40 minutes in the post office, most of it waiting because there was already a line when I came in. I came in at 8 am by the way. I also just want to comment that the post office workers are very ready to help. The only problem is that our post office system is inefficient and short-staffed.

25. Hi! I ordered a couple of albums from Korea and the price all in all is around 8k. Nakalagay na status sa tracking system ng Phlpost is “Customs Information” it has been like that since april 3. Then I emailed them asking for an update kasi di nag-iiba status ng package ko. They’re asking for “COMMERCIAL INVOICE/PROOF OF PAYMENT of items inside the package, for customs assessment and approval prior to Phlpost next action.” I’ve ordered from other countries before and some nga umaabot ng 9k pero di ako hinihingan ng ganyan. I also asked kung ma-foforward sya sa local post office ko since Registered airmail lang sya. They still haven’t replied.

I want to ask if there’s a possibility na ma-forward pa sya sa local post office ko. Thank you very much! 🙂

• Hello! You can try to wait a couple more days and check the status again. May times na hinihingi nila ung invoice, may times naman na hindi so its best to still bring it with you when you claim the package.

It is in their discretion to hold your package sa main office sa Pasay if you’re in Metro Manila. If the status does not change then your best bet is to go to the main post office in Pasay to claim it.

• Hi! I’m from the province kasi- Bulacan, specifically. Will they consider it? Na i-forward yung package since I live quite far away from Pasay. Thank you!

26. Bad service, sent my passport renewal with docs by EMS PHLPOST promised 3 days to be delivered, 10 days later just arrived in the UK but not delivered. sent 7th May. left Philippines 12th May so sat in the office for 6 days. p1300 for this shit service.